Sayreville, New Jersey was incorporated as a township on April 6, 1876 from portions of South Amboy, and then reincorporated as the Borough of Sayreville on April 29, 1919. In 1880 the population stood at about 1,930, mostly immigrant laborers from Poland, Ireland, and Germany. These early residents were employed predominantly by the numerous clay, sand, and brick companies which owned most of the land in the township, namely the Such Clay Company, the Furman Brick Company, the Crossman Sand & Clay Company, Whitehead Brothers, and the Sayre & Fisher Brick Company, at its height the largest brickworks in the world. With the coming of other industries at the turn of the century such as DuPont, Hercules, and National Lead, Sayreville promoted itself as the “Home of Nationally Known Industries.” After World War II, with the sale of former clay land holdings to housing developers, Sayreville’s population boomed from just about 8,000 residents in 1945 to over 32,000 by 1970. Today Sayreville is a diverse community of over 43,000 people.
Swimming at Major's Pond and Soap Box Derby on Pulaski Avenue in the 1950s
Filmed by Joseph Szeliga, and donated to the Sayreville Historical Society by his son, Edward Szeliga