Saint Stanislaus Kostka
Roman Catholic Church
Although Peter Fisher had commissioned the construction of the Methodist Church in 1871, and the early German population had built a Presbyterian Church, Sayreville’s Protestant population was quickly outnumbered by Roman Catholics who were arriving in droves from Europe seeking employment in the brickyards. By 1905 more than half of Sayreville’s population was foreign-born.
In the summer of 1912, a Mr. Michael Surdey went before the Sayreville Township Committee seeking support in petitioning the bishop for permission to build a church for Sayreville’s Polish Catholics. Up until this time the large number of residents of Polish extraction had to travel to Saint Mary’s Church in South River or Sacred Heart Church in South Amboy to attend services in their own tongue. The Township Committee prepared and signed the desired petition.
When St. Stanislaus Kostka Church, “The Polish Church” as it was called, was completed, it stood on mined out Sayre and Fisher property. It was built of Sayre and Fisher bricks, and it was surrounded in all directions by brick yards and clay pits. But after decades without a church of their own, the ambitions of Sayreville’s Polish residents were fulfilled when the new parish of Saint Stanislaus Kostka Roman Catholic Church celebrated their first mass on Christmas Eve, 1914.