THE WASHINGTON CANAL

 The Washington Canal was dug during the height of America's "canal fever." Completed in 1831, it shortened the route from the villages of Old Bridge and Washington (present-day Borough of South River) to the Raritan River. Both of these small ports initially exported timber and produce, primarily to New York City. By the middle of the 19th century, the Washington Canal promoted and facilitated the shipment of clay, sand, and bricks from industries up and down the South River. 

http://www.michaeljiroch.com

Aerial Photograph of the Washington Canal by Michael Jiroch (www.michaeljiroch.com) 

Photographs of the Washington Canal by kayak showing the original wood pilings at low tide, courtesy of Jason Slesinski 

    Established 1975

    425 Main Street, Sayreville, New Jersey 08872 info@sayrevillehistory.org

    732-390-7048

    Email: info@sayrevillehistory.org

    © 2017 Jason J. Slesinski, Borough Historian

    Sayreville Historical Society

    SUBSCRIBE FOR UPDATES!

    • White Facebook Icon
    • White Instagram Icon
    • White YouTube Icon
    • White Tumblr Icon
    • White Twitter Icon
    Page 4

    An act to incorporate the Washington Canal Company, 1822 (Courtesy of the Library of Congress)